You’re topic to all local legal guidelines and penalties, which includes those that may perhaps seem harsh by Australian requirements. Investigate local laws just before travelling.
If you are arrested or jailed, the Australian Government will do what it can to assist you within just the scope of our Consular Providers Constitution. But we cannot get you out of hassle or out of jail.
See the Australian Embassy Tokyo website for extra info about arrests in Japan.
Be knowledgeable that you will not be allowed to make a cell phone connect with if you are arrested in Japan. You can also be detained for up to 23 times with out any formal cost.
Authorities can arrest and charge you if they obtain trace amounts of unlawful medicine in your blood or urine.
Much more details:
Japanese family law, together with divorce and baby custody, is pretty different to Australian legislation. For illustration, joint custody of a little one after divorce is not a lawful possibility, and there are limitations to accessibility for a non-custodial father or mother. The Family members Courts in Japan usually look at that it is in a child’s ideal interests for them to continue to be in their “usual location of residence”. Courts consequently commonly give sole custody to the father or mother that has taken treatment of the kid most a short while ago.
If you are associated in custody or other relatives disputes, consult with a lawyer ahead of you go away Australia or if you are now in Japan. We have manufactured some standard information about challenges close to custody, child abduction and parental legal rights.
Australia and Japan are each functions to The Hague Conference on the Civil Areas of International Baby Abduction.
If you are worried that your boy or girl has been wrongfully eradicated or detained in Japan, speak to the Attorney-General’s Division in Australia.
A lot more details:
Some employment agents might mislead and encourage foreigners to work in Japan with no:
- the appropriate visa
- financial arrangements in area
This could leave you open up to exploitation and prosecution.
Authorities have arrested Australians for doing the job in the leisure sector whilst in Japan on tourist visas.
If you want to journey to Japan for operate:
- check out the accurate character of the operate supplied
- get the correct visa right before arriving in Japan
- get lawful tips prior to signing any contract
Far more details:
Law enforcement powers
Law enforcement can quit you on the avenue, desire identification and research you and your possessions.
If you happen to be in a public location, law enforcement can seize:
- knives for a longer period than 5.5cm, which includes blades and penknives
- any other weapons or items you could use as weapons
- any product they fairly suspect you stole or have unlawfully
If they locate any of these goods on you, it’s probably that law enforcement will detain you.
If you happen to be arrested, law enforcement can detain you for up to 23 times with no demand, together with for offences you could possibly believe are minimal. Law enforcement could possibly hold you for months or months when they investigate and undertake authorized proceedings.
The preliminary law enforcement interview could previous several hrs. Law enforcement may well file it in writing instead than electronically.
Under Japanese regulation, you can:
- continue to be silent
- obtain legal illustration
- have an interpreter offered
Nevertheless, in Japan police can concern you without having your attorney current.
English interpreters may be substandard. Get a checklist of English-talking attorneys close to Japan from the Australian Embassy web site.
If you’re visiting Japan shorter-term as a vacationer or for business enterprise, you ought to usually have your passport.
If you dwell in Japan, you will have to often carry your home card.
It’s illegal to:
- get or drink alcoholic beverages if you are under 20 many years old
- drive with any liquor in your bloodstream
- make it possible for an individual less than the affect of alcohol to drive a motor vehicle in which you’re a passenger
The subsequent activities are also illegal:
- importing or possessing firearms or other weapons devoid of a permit.
- using tobacco on the streets in some elements of Tokyo and other metropolitan areas.
- applying UHF-CB radios (walkie-talkies) that you should not meet Japanese requirements, this kind of as those people bought outdoors Japan.
- resisting arrest or other actions that obstruct an official’s duties.
- flying a drone without the need of a allow in numerous locations of Japan. Strict restrictions utilize under aviation guidelines.
- possessing unlawful drugs in your entire body (detected by urine tests).
- ingesting on the streets on particular days, these types of as around Shibuya on Halloween and New Year’s Eve.
Penalties for major crimes, such as murder, include things like the loss of life penalty.
Other sentences can incorporate:
- large fines
- lengthy jail conditions with tough labour